Herping around in the village

So, me and my siblings decided to take our mom on a walk around the village, because she works a lot and though living here for like 5 years she still didn't get a good chance to look around and we decided it was 'bout time.

Shrew (Sorex araneus). Pretty common here, in the fields.


White Stork (Ciconia ciconia) footprint (with me for scale). :P

Female Sand Lizard (Lacerta agilis)...

...and the rug we found it under.

Juvenile Green Lizard (Lacerta viridis) and me making weird faces.

Some sort of very injured beetle (probably a Green Lizard tried to eat it) that I assume it's some kind of dung beetle. I would very much appreciate if someone could give me an ID on it...

Agile Frog (Rana dalmatina). Very common in Bulgaria.

Underside of the same individual. Usually their underside colors are brighter.

A nest, probably belongs to a female Common Blackbird (Turdus merula). It still had chicks in it and momma got real angry when she saw us, so we took a quick shot and where back on track.


Glow worm of a firefly (Lampyridae sp.)

Yellow-belied Toad (Bombina variegata). My mom's favorite amphibian, besides the axolotl.

Defense mechanism (Same toad).

Another beetle. Again, I don't know what species it is so every piece of info will be greatly appritiated.

Another bug, a moth this time, that I don't know the name of. Though I got the feeling it's poisonous, so I washed my hands after that. Better safe than sorry.

I assume this is an ant queen, though not very sure...


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adventures in Malta

Herping with Dylan and Pete